How to Stop Baby Diarrhea
How to Stop Baby Diarrhea
Your baby is one of the most important people of your life. Being a parent requires a lot of care and patience, especially when your baby is just a newborn! You will need to look after him every time in order to keep him healthy and in comfort. It’s a beautiful thing to experience and something very fulfilling, as it is you who cares and lets your baby grow into responsible citizens! In order to do that, they must be healthy and free of sicknesses. Unfortunately, just like us, suffering from sicknesses is inevitable, and it will happen no matter how much care and prevention we put into ourselves. Your baby is no exception, as they may also get sick a few times during their infancy days. One of the most common illnesses would be diarrhea.
Diarrhea doesn’t only happen to us adults, but to children and newborn babies as well. It’s uncomfortable for the newborn and can be a nuisance to both parent and baby. It is also unhealthy and should be remedied as soon as possible, as it may lead to dehydration and other medical problems! This may be very worrying for many parents, especially if they are still new to parenting! But not to fear, as there are home remedies you can do. In this article, we show you how to stop baby diarrhea, as well as information about the illness and how to prevent it from happening again.
What is Baby Diarrhea?
Just like how we experience diarrhea, it is the constant pooping of liquids. This causes a lot of discomfort and a mess on both you and your newborn baby’s side. It’s something no one wants to endure, and since your baby is not as strong as an adult, it can be worrying as well. The soft poop that comes out constantly due to a problem in the digestive system may be painful and can keep your baby up all night! But how will you know if your abby is suffering from diarrhea? Here are the different symptoms:
- Your baby is peeing less but pooping more
- Your baby’s poop is soft and liquid, coming more often than usual.
- Feeling irritable and suffering from sleepless nights.
- Dry mouth and no tears while crying, due to dehydration from soft poop.
- Soft spot on head and less elastic skin.
These are common symptoms of diarrhea that can be treated at home. But once your baby starts getting a fever or vomiting, and his poop is bloody or in another different color, then it’s time to call a doctor or rush to the hospital for immediate treatment.
Why is your baby suffering from diarrhea? There are various causes, such as:
- You have fed him food that triggered diarrhea. He may be allergic to something and allergic reactions can cause diarrhea as well.
- An infection caused by the environment.
- Food poisoning from soiled or again, triggered food.
- Drinking too much fruit juice.
How to Stop Baby Diarrhea
If your baby is suffering from diarrhea, then there are ways to stop it with home remedies. As long as he is not feverish and the poop is nothing serious but “normal” baby diarrhea, then you will be able to help ease the pain and let it pass properly through these different home remedies:
- Make sure that you stop feeding your child whatever food triggered the diarrhea immediately.
- Let your newborn drink a lot of fluids that will help rehydrate him.
- Make sure you clean your home and keep both you and your newborn clean to avoid spreading the bacteria and making it worse.
- Continue breastfeeding your newborn, as breast milk helps ease diarrhea.
- Always change your baby’s diaper regularly when he suffers from diarrhea, that way he will be clean and free from the excess bacteria that may lengthen the illness. This is to avoid diaper rash as well, which may make your newborn feel worse.
- Feed them food and drinks that will help ease the diarrhea and pain. Go for oral rehydration drinks, banana and applesauce, rice cereal, and follow the BRAT diet. This helps harden the stools. Avoid food high in fiber or oil, as this will aggravate the digestive system and make your newborn feel worse.
If your newborn has already been suffering for a few days and there are no signs of the diarrhea stopping, then it’s time to consult a doctor for treatment and antibiotics. These home remedies will require patience and a lot of care and cleaning, so be sure to ready your parenting skills!
How to Prevent Baby Diarrhea
If you have already stopped the diarrhea and want to prevent it, or if you are afraid of your child getting diarrhea again, then there are ways to help prevent it, such as:
- Make sure your home is clean of bacteria and that you keep yourself clean when handling your newborn.
- Feed your newborn food that won’t trigger diarrhea and keep him healthy.
- Make sure there is less sugar in what he eats, and that he is always well-changed to avoid bacteria.
- Make sure that your newborn is updated with his vaccines, especially the rotavirus vaccine.
- Lessen the consumption of baby fruit juice for your newborn.
- Check formula if it is safe for your baby and follow the directions to mix it well.
- If given the go signal by your doctor, try feeding your baby yogurt for probiotics.
- If you are breastfeeding, keep a balanced diet and stay away from sugary drinks and oily food that may cause your breast milk to give your baby diarrhea.
The main way to prevent diarrhea is to keep everything clean and free from any parasites or bacteria that may cause infection. Also, make sure that both you and your baby keep a well-balanced diet to avoid infection and to prevent any bacteria from spreading.
Newborn babies need to be cared for as they are still dependent and will need guidance until such time that they are taught to fend for themselves. Illnesses such as diarrhea is common among babies, which is why it’s best to learn how to prevent it and stop it from happening immediately if ever they do suffer from it. Hopefully, with these tips and ways on how to stop and prevent diarrhea, you will be able to keep your baby healthy and strong, without any cause of worry if they do suffer from it again. These are easy to do remedies that can be done with the help of items found right in the comforts of your own home! So if your baby is suffering from diarrhea, you now know what to do to get rid of it and to stop it from happening again. so not to worry about diarrhea anymore, as you can easily cure your baby from it with ease. All it takes is a bit of time and patience.
Did you enjoy the article, or do you have any other new remedies and ways on how to prevent and stop baby diarrhea from happening? Then comment your suggestions below to help another fellow parent! We will definitely appreciate your comments and recommendations.